The Nebraska Governor's Residence is a modified Georgian Colonial home, which was formally opened on March 17, 1958. Governor Anderson was the first Governor to live at the Residence.
The house has 27 major rooms which includes 5 bedrooms, 12 bathrooms, 4 fireplaces and a 3-stall garage. Total square footage is 15,340
The house was renovated beginning in 1997 and the work was completed by 1998.
School groups should call the Residence directly at 402-471-3466 to schedule a school tour.
Public tours are given on Thursday afternoons by appointment only. No walk up tours are available. To schedule a tour please click on this link or call 402-471-3466. Tours must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. The maximum number of guests that can be accommodated on one tour is 20. After a tour request is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email or a message asking you to request a different date.
Notice - The Governor's Residence is a working building; therefore, tours must be canceled occasionally. The Residence staff will notify you as soon as possible if a scheduling conflict arises.
Information about the tour
- There is no charge for admission.
- Tour guides are volunteer Docent’s from the Community Women’s Club
- Tours last approximately 40 minutes.
- Upon arrival, go to the Pedestrian Gate on the north side of the Residence. Ring the buzzer on the gate and security personnel will assist you.
- For security purposes, A photo ID and additional information may be required before touring
- No backpacks, bags or strollers are allowed
- Guests should dress accordingly as there may be a wait outdoors before entering the Residence.
- Gates will open promptly at the scheduled starting time. Guests who arrive before the starting time will not be admitted early.
- Late Arrivals: It is important to begin tours on time to ensure that all groups receive their full tour. If a group arrives late for a reservation, accommodations will be made whenever possible. Accommodations may include shortening the length of the tour or rescheduling the tour to a later time in the day if a time slot is available.
- Please be courteous during your visit
- Turn off your cell phone
- Do not sit or lean on furniture or objects in the Residence
- Do not touch anything
- Food & drink are not allowed in the house on a tour
- Photographs are allowed, however, no video taping is permitted
- Smoking is not allowed on the Residence grounds
- Cancellations: If for any reason you are unable to keep your scheduled tour, please call 402-471-3466 as soon as possible to cancel or re-schedule your tour.
Please Note: Restrooms are very limited. We recommend that visitors use the restroom before visiting the Residence. Public restrooms are available across the street at the State Capitol Building. While the Residence is ADA compliant, we do not provide seating for visitors who do not wish to join the tour.
The Residence is closed for public tours (those not involving school groups) from mid-December to early March.
Holiday Open House
The Residence will be decorated for the Holidays during the month of December. Annually, the Governor hosts a Holiday Public Open House at the Residence following the Tree Lighting Ceremony at the Capitol.
Art Exhibition Program
The Governor’s Residence Art Exhibition Program in conjunction with the Nebraska Arts Council is pleased to announce the 2020– 2021 listing of featured Nebraska artists. These artists’ works will be featured in the lower level of the Governor’s Residence.
Governor's Residence Exhibition Program 2020-2021 Schedule
January 9, 2020 – March 27, 2020
Katie B. Temple
April 2, 2020 – June 12, 2020
Mary Linnea Vaughan
June 18, 2020 – September 16, 2020
Scholastic Art Exhibition
September 24, 2020 – December 11, 2020
December 17, 2020 – March 12, 2021
March 18, 2021 – June 11, 2021
Martha Vestecka Miller
June 17, 2021 – September 15, 2021
Scholastic Art Exhibition
September 23, 2021 – December 10, 2021